Various meets slated to run at Murray Bridge Speedway, including the 360 Australian Sprintcar Championship and the Australian Wingless Sprint Championship, have been rescheduled due to state border closures.
Murray Bridge Speedway venue administrator Darren Shaddock announced the postponements as the closures would mean several teams and officials would not be able to take part, with no certainty around when the restrictions would be lifted.
The 360 Australian Sprintcar Championship for 2021 will be pushed to next year, on March 25 and 26, 2022.
"With the unpredictability of the virus and snap lock downs looming as a threat at any time, we feel it is the best outcome for everyone to postpone the event," Mr Shaddock.
"This announcement has been made in the best interest of competitors, especially since a large number of our 360 contingents are located in Victoria.
"We want to give everyone the best opportunity to attend."
Mr Shaddock said organisers are trying to have a round of the Allstars sprintcar series hosted two weeks before the championships next year "to give competitors an opportunity to have a pre-hit out prior to the title".
Other meets impacted are the SA Wingless Sprint Title and the Wingless Sprints 60 Lapper, which were meant to form three continuous weeks of wingless spring racing in Murray Bridge.
The wingless sprint nationals are still expected to be raced at Murray Bridge, just at a later date yet to be confirmed.
The SA title was originally a two-night event on February 19 and 20, but it will now be cut down to be a one-night event on February 20.
The 60 Lapper was meant to be on the March long weekend, but it has been shifted forward one weekend to February 27 to fill the hole the postponed nationals leaves.
"Murray Bridge Speedway has been pro-active in ensuring that our speedway venue was open as soon as viable during the COVID-19 pandemic, and we have been fortunate enough to be able to run the majority of our race meetings that were scheduled this season in some format or another," Mr Shaddock said.
"But, we always knew that with the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 virus, that an outbreak may occur at any given time and there was always going to be a risk that any of the events may be postponed or cancelled, and unfortunately in this instance that is exactly what has happened.
"While these changes are not ideal, we understand that many Wingless Sprint teams had already committed to running at our venue on these dates, and hope that they keep their plans in place as we would still love to see them here and still want to see as many cars out on the track as possible."
The annual Ross Wright Memorial sprintcar event will remain on March 6 as a stand-alone event.
Murray Bridge Speedway was set to host the national championships for the wingless sprints, 360 sprintcars, and modlites this season.
Mr Shaddock said the modlite event is still set to go ahead, along with the Demo Derby world record attempt, but any further outbreaks or restrictions may change this.
"We were fully committed to hosting the three Australian Championships that our venue was fortunate enough to be awarded this season," Mr Shaddock said.
"We are also in discussions to organise a round of the Allstars two weeks (March 12) prior to the Championship,
Tickets for the SA Wingless Sprint Title will be available soon at www.speedwaytickets.com.au
For the remaining race dates for the 2021 season and more information, visit www.murraybridgespeedway.com/schedule.asp