NEFL match reports

Round 2 of the North Eastern Football League season took place over the weekend, with games played at Burra, Clare, Robertstown and Spalding.

Photographer Carly Grant headed out to Robertstown to capture the action between Southern Saints and Blyth-Snowtown for Northern Argus.

B.B.H v R.S.M.U

Riverton-Saddleworth-Marrabel United made it two wins of the trot on Saturday with a 75-point demolition of Burra-Booborowie-Hallet.

It was a return to form for the Hawks after round 1 where it took them three quarters to kick into gear against Mintaro-Manoora.

R.S.M.U were dominant from the first whistle at Burra Oval, racing out to a 21-point lead at the end of the first quarter.

Only booting one major in the first term, B.B.H found more scoring opportunities in the second but the Eagles continued to attack.

At the half, R.S.M.U were up 4.3 (27) to 9.7 (61).

It went from bad to worse for the Rams after the break with the visitors continuing to hit the score board as they flirted with putting 100 points on the scoreboard by the end of the third quarter.

Jack Connell was potent in the forward 50 for the Hawks kicking five goals, while Matt Naumann added three in his second game for the club.

R.S.M.U had 10 individual goal-kickers on the day as they ran out winners with a final score of 8.8 (56) to 19.17 (131).

For the home side, Kyle Crompton was among his side's best, kicking five majors in the loss.

North Clare v Mintaro-Manoora

North Clare went to the top of the North Eastern Football League ladder after a 60-point triumph over Mintaro-Manoora.

The Eagles had an impressive showing in round 1, keeping the pace with six time premiers R.S.M.U despite an opening round loss.

However it was a different story this time around.

Three goals in the first quarter had the Roosters up by 16-points with Min-Man limited to just the one goal.

Playing in front of their home crowd, North pushed on in the second quarter to be 5.10 (40) 2.2 (14) at the main interval.

The Roosters never looked in trouble playing on their home turf at Clare Oval with strong showings in the third and fourth quarters.

North looked dangerous at both ends of the park, with plenty of forays into their attacking 50 and limiting the scoring chances for Min-Man down back.

At the game's conclusion, the scoreboard read 13.16 (94) to 5.4 (34).

Nick Prokopec had a day out with six goals to his name, while Cohen Pettit added a pair.

Isaac Montefiore and Bill Sandow were again among the best for the Eagles, joined by Nathan Forrest, Archie Smith and Lachie Sandow.

With big wins in both opening rounds, North were perched on top of the ladder heading into Round 3, the smallest of percentages above R.S.M.U and Blyth-Snowtown.

Southern Saints v Blyth-Snowtown

Southern Saints started how they finished in Round 1, but they could not maintain the pace against Blyth-Snowtown.

It was a back and first opening quarter at Robertstown on Saturday as the Cats again took time to get going.

Saints were accurate in front of the big sticks, kicking 4.1 in the first term but Blyth-Snowtown hung with them.

The Cats kicked 4.3 to hold a narrow two point lead at the end of the first quarter.

Out for the second quarter, the Hoops found their feet, keeping the home side goalless, but kicked 2.3 before half time.

Whatever Blyth-Snowtown coach Carey Payne said to his forwards at the break paid dividends in the third quarter as they pulled ahead in devastating fashion. The Cats kicked 9.1 in the penultimate term.

Saints could only add just one more major before the final whistle.

Another six goals were added to the Cats score during the final term, as they finished 7.5 (47) to 21.10 (136).

Scott Atkinson followed on from his five goal effort in Round 1 with another four against the Saints.

Ex-Norwood gun Harry Viney kicked six, while David Giles had three for the day.

Young gun Brayden Eime was among the best for Blyth-Snowtown.

For the home side, Kane Schulz kicked four and was best on ground for the Saints.

B.S.R v South Clare

Reigning Premier Brinkworth-Spalding-Redhill were again tested, this time against South Clare.

The Demons have impressed over the last fortnight after falling to Blyth-Snowtown in a close one to open the season last week.

Another tough challenge awaited them over the weekend as they traveled to Spalding to take on the Tigers.

There were signs of a back-and-forth contest in store for the spectators early on, with South narrowly winning the first quarter.

Both sides kicked three goals apiece, but four behinds to the Demons gave them the slight advantage.

In the second quarter B.S.R wrestled back control though South were still putting up a strong fight.

At half-time, the scores were 5.4 (34) to 4.8 (32).

The Premiers pulled away in the third but the margin was still tight, nine points separating the two sides.

South could only add one goal to their score during the quarter as wayward kicking let them down.

That proved to be their downfall as B.S.R made it two from two, the final score 11.8 (74) to 7.17 (59).

Young Tiger Lachie Wilsdon kicked three, while Sam Martin, Phil Raymond and Matt Longbottom all had two.

Jordan Clements has shown strong form to start the year, in the best players for the second time.

Jacob Graetz was the only multiple goal kicker for the Demons.