Hawks win through to penultimate game

Eyes on the ball: Eagle Dylan Griffiths swoops on a loose ball against North Clare on Sunday. Photos: Carly Grant Photography.

Eyes on the ball: Eagle Dylan Griffiths swoops on a loose ball against North Clare on Sunday. Photos: Carly Grant Photography.

Damian Hynes sends it long for R.S.M.U at Manoora Oval.

Damian Hynes sends it long for R.S.M.U at Manoora Oval.

Quick out of the blocks with five goals in the opening term, RSMU collected yet another win against North Clare at Manoora Oval in the do-or-die North Eastern football first semi-final encounter on Sunday.

A trio of North Clare players surround Mitch Sandery during Sunday's semi final.

A trio of North Clare players surround Mitch Sandery during Sunday's semi final.

It was the fourth time this season the Hawks have toppled the Roosters and they have unbroken winning streak against North goes back six years.

The Roosters did respond kicking four goals in the second quarter but was still 22 points behind at half time.

After the interval, the Hawks clicked into gear again, with five more goals and would go on to win the game - 18.12 (122) to 10.5 (65) - by a significant 57-point margin.

RSMU coaach Stephen Lubcke said the team had gotten into the match from the start.

“We did have a great first quarter and the boys were switched on early,” Lubcke said.

“While we were challenged in the second term, we were able to hold their momentum and kick some goals ourselves.

“I'm pleased we got off to a good start, as it has been something I've been working with the boys on and this put them on the back foot early.

“Our back six was again very good and I felt we had the game in hand being 10 goals up early in the last quarter.

“At this point we were able to rest Zack Hier and Kimberley Hart for the remainder of the game.”

Skipper Brad Koster led the way in the middle while veteran forward Craig Mullins kicked seven goals and also handed off a couple as well.

As expected Hier, before rested, was a significant tall option up forward having an impressive game while Justin Schahinger was competitive across the course of the game.

Patrick Browne was outstanding in his key defensive role and Billy Nicholls also had a strong all-round performance.

Other multiple goal kickers for the Hawks, included Damian Hynes, wingman Tyson Willmott, Nicholls and Cooper Behn, who each kicked two goals.  

For the Roosters, the versatile Ben Cross was their best player, followed by on-baller Jake Panaho.

Tom Huppatz competed manfully in ruck while Sam Panaho was impressive down back against the odds.

Both Tom Stevens and Adam Simpson also had their moments and another solid performer was teenager Charlie Helbig on his wing.

Key forward Dallas Hill kicked four of his team’s 10 goals while Cross and young James Brown finished with two each.


Blyth-Snowtown v Southern Saints

Accuracy would prove to be the key in the reserves first semi-final on Sunday afternoon.

Blyth-Snowtown was nine points up at half time but blew a number of opportunities, kicking 1.5 in the second quarter.

Further hindering their chances, the inaccuracy continued in the second half with the Cats kicking just five points across their final two quarters for the campaign.

The Saints would come from behind and go on to win the game by a kick, after a pair of last quarter majors.

The final score was the Southern Saints 5.8 (38) defeating the Blyth-Snowtown Cats 3.11 (21).

Dale Button was outstanding for Eudunda-Roberstown as was Max Baddack with three of his team’s five goals.

Evergreen veteran Corey Ah Chee stamped his authority on the game as well.

The Saints’ Simon Schmidt and Cody Reese contributed strongly to the victory.  

For the frustrated Cats, Rhys Baxter was their best followed by the evergreen Simon ‘Rat’ McCormack. Tyson Eime and playing coach Adam Conradi were conspicuous.

Michael Hartwig, who kicked one of the Cats goals, and James Henderson were also a solid contributors.

Under 17

Southern Saints v North Clare

A big second quarter, and consolidating with five more goals in the third, ensured the Southern Saints won their first semi-final clash with North Clare by a commanding 59-point margin.

With 4.4 to 1.0 in the second quarter, Eudunda-Robertstown started to gain some authority in the contest.

The Saints would win the game 13.13 (91) to North Clare’s 5.2 (32).  

Former state schoolboy footballer Hayden Mosey (two goals) was best on ground, followed by Saints team-mates, Fraser Wiech and Ethan Pfitzner.

With three goals Lachlan Cluse was also constructive, while fresh from intercollegiate commitments with PAC year 10 football, Henry Kleinig was also a strong performer.

The youngest of the Launer siblings, Dylan, kicked two goals and performed well for his team.

Will Nicholai was the Roosters best followed by Hayden Schultz and Ben Harrold.  

Riley Seneca, Charlie Jones and William Hoddle also were mentioned in North Clare’s best player lists. The Roosters had five individual goal kickers.

Under 14

South Clare v BBH

As expected the junior colts (under 14) match between South Clae and BBH Rams was a one-sided affair.  

The Demons were already 26 points up at half-time and the lead was increased to 45 points by lemons with the eventual margin being 74 points.

The final scoreboard read South Clare 12.15 (87) defeating BBH 2.1 (13)

Bodie McNeil was best on ground and also chimed in with a couple of goals while Lachlan Lucas and Jackson Wurful also were high up in the Dees’ best.

Darcy Hennessey, Alex Head and Will Young, with a three-goal haul, were also impressive. Isaac Kocsis kicked four goals and Henry Hincks also snaffled a pair.

For the Rams, despite the margin, Ashton Pearce and Cherylee Waters led the way.

Others who had their moments included Oliver Boston, Harry Piggott, Jarad Clonan and William Wadlow.