950 motorists detected for speeding offences in SA

A state-wide police blitz targeting lead-footed drivers saw more than 950 motorists pulled over in just four days during this month.

The state wide enforcement, Operation Safe Speed, was run by from August 24-27.

“This (operation) is about reducing the trauma that occurs on our roads,” SA Police Traffic Support Branch, Superintendent Bob Gray said.

“Vehicles that travel above the posted speed limit are more likely to be involved in a serious crash – analysis of crashes last year showed that in 41 per cent of fatal crashes, excessive speed was considered a contributing factor.”

Operation Safe Speed results:

  • Issued 519 expiation notices
  • Cautioned 436 drivers
  • Reported 10 motorists
  • Issued three motorists with instant disqualifications from driving

Superintendent Gray said that, along with the other factors considered the ‘Fatal Five’, police would continue to focus on speeding drivers in order to promote road safety.

Among those detected during the four-day operation were:

  • A 42-year-old Belair man who was detected on Saturday night travelling at least 92kph in a 60-zone on Main Rd, Belair. He was later arrested and charged with driving at a dangerous speed and driving to evade police.
  • Also, a 19-year-old Greenwith man who was detected on Monday night travelling at least 90kpm in a 60km zone on The Golden Way, Golden Grove.

The expiation for exceeding the posted limit by 30-44kph is $920 (plus a $60 Victims of Crime Levy) and seven demerit points.

This story Police nab speeding motorists first appeared on Barossa & Light Herald.