Thanks from Auburn
The Auburn Community Development Committee would like to take this opportunity to issue a big thank you to so many for your responses to the desecration carried out recently at the Auburn Cemetery.
Thank you to:
- The community of Auburn and people from far and wide who cleaned up the debris.
- The Mayor, Allan Aughey, and the staff of the Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council for their support at the time and for their ongoing management of the restoration.
- The Member for Frome, Geoff Brock, for his visit and support and the organisation of funds from the state government for restoration work.
- The SA Police for their rapid response, investigations and care and concern.
- The support of both the print and electronic media was greatly appreciated as was the very respectful approach of the journalists involved.
- To all others who assisted in any way in this difficult time.
The Auburn community has and will bounce back from this assault on its memories and history.
Thank you again one and all for your care and support.
Rhonda Seymour, chairperson, Auburn Community Development Committee.
Aussies are besotted with renovating. We’re infatuated with DIY lifestyle programs and the plethora of decorator products designed to excite the renovator in us.
But what happens when we ignore the risks and don’t take the warnings about asbestos seriously?
We could be risking our lives and the lives of our loved ones if deadly asbestos fibres are inhaled.
Asbestos-related diseases are not a thing of the past.
Every 14 hours, one Australian loses their life to mesothelioma. Every 13 hours another 13 families receive the tragic news that a loved one has the disease that will take their life, usually within months.
All too often I’ve heard people say that they don’t worry about the warnings, that they don’t think it will affect them, that they’re bullet-proof when it comes to asbestos.
Well, with one-in-every-three homes containing asbestos in some form or another, homeowners and tradies could be risking their lives and the lives of families (even their kids) if they don’t take the warnings seriously.
Asbestos could be lurking in any home built or renovated before 1987 including brick, weatherboard, clad and fibro homes.
Asbestos was used in the manufacture of hundreds of products and if these products are disturbed during renovations, that’s when fibres can be inhaled and can kill.
Death from asbestos is not a thing of the past. While we don’t know how many fibres it takes, what we do know is that the more fibres inhaled, the greater the risk to our health.
Today, asbestos remains one of the greatest health threats to families and tradespeople who disturb asbestos during renovations and maintenance.
We must stop the ongoing tragic loss of Australian lives. Every Australian needs to know that when it comes to asbestos, they’ve got to go slow, because asbestos is a NO GO!
Visit asbestosawareness.com.au to learn what you need to know!