This year’s 23rd annual Langton’s Clare Valley Wine Show attracted more than 400 wines across 22 classes.
After several days of judging, Jim Barry Wines was awarded the coveted best wine of show for its 2017 Single Vineyard Block 114 Riesling, following an extremely successful day which also resulted in best exhibitor of show.
The Wilson Vineyard took out the prestigious Brother John May wine of provenance for its DJW Riesling 2017, 2010 and 2006.
The Chair of Judges award was presented to John Hughes’ 2017 Rieslingfreak No.2 Polish Hill River Riesling.
This year’s judging panel was headed up by Nick Stock as chair of judges, his final year at the helm.
Judges were: Brokenwood managing director and chief winemaker Iain Riggs, Torbreck senior winemaker Ian Hongell, Wines by KT winemaker and owner Kerri Thompson, Randall’s independent fine wine merchant Randall Pollard, Crown Melbourne director of wine Matthew Brooke and Yalumba Wines winemaker Teresa Heuzenroeder.
Associate judges were Claymore Wines winemaker Marnie Roberts, O’Leary Walker Wines winemaker Jack Walker, Paulett Wines winemaker Kirk McDonald, Tintara Wines assistant winemaker Matthew Turner, Murdoch Hill Wines winemaker Michael Downer and Red Art Wines’ Bernie Kaeding.
- Service of excellence awards cellar door of the year: O’Leary Walker Wines
- Best sweet wine of show: Paulett Wines, 2017 Late Harvest Riesling
- Best rose of show: Jim Barry Wines, 2017 Annabelle’s Rose
- Best dry white other than riesling: Jim Barry Wines, 2017 Assyrtiko
- Best fortified: Skillogalee Wines, Skillogalee Liquer Muscat
- Best exhibition section dry riesling, 2016 vintage: Jim Barry Wines, 2016 Single Vineyard Block 18 Riesling
- Best exhibition section dry riesling, 2015 vintage and older: clos Clare, 2010 Watervale Riesling
- Best vintage section shiraz: Pinnacle Drinks, 2016 Winemaker Series Craftsman Matthew Riemann Shiraz
- Best vintage section cabernet sauvignon: Sussex Squire Wines, 2016 Sussex Squire Samuel Block Cabernet Sauvignon
- Best vintage section dry red blends and other varieties: Knappstein Enterprise Winery, 2016 Clare Valley Malbec
- Best dry red from exhibition sections: Jim Barry Wines, 2010 The Benbournie Cabernet Sauvignon
- Chair of Judges award: John Hughes Wines, 2017 Rieslingfreak No.2 Polish Hill River Riesling
- Mick Knappstein Trophy best current vintage riesling: Jim Barry Wines, 2017 Single Vineyard Block 114 Riesling
- Carl Sobels Trophy best vintage section dry red: Sussex Squire Wines, 2016 Sussex Squire Samuel Block Cabernet Sauvignon
- Best riesling of show: Jim Barry Wines, 2017 Single Vineyard Block 114 Riesling
- Best small producer: clos Clare
- Best single vineyard wine: Jim Barry Wines, 2017 Single Vineyard Block 114 Riesling
- Viticulturist Trophy: Peter Barry
- Best exhibitor of show: Jim Barry Wines
- Br John May Trophy wine of provenance: The Wilson Vineyard DJW Riesling 2017, 2010, 2006
- Jim Barry Trophy best wine of show: Jim Barry Wines, 2017 Single Vineyard Block 114 Riesling
Northern Argus is the proud media partner of the Clare Valley Wine Show.