Recently the Jamestown Table Tennis Association held its annual Closed Tournament for club members.
There were about 35 players entered, the highest number for a few years.
It was great to see so many of the association’s junior players enter and have a go, and many were successful.
Results of the tournament were:
- Division 1A Singles: David Klingner def Hayden Le Poidevin 9-11, 13-11. 11-5, 11-9
- Division 1B Singles: Colin Black def Robbie Klemm 11-3, 10-12, 11-9, 11-8
- Division 2A Singles: Donald Downing def Adam Black 11-9, 11-5, 11-4
- Division 2B Singles: George Jacka def Jordan Downing 11-9, 11-7, 9-11, 8-11, 11-9
- Handicap Singles: George Jacka def Grace Crawford 31-30
- Division 1 Doubles: David Klingner & John Hagger def Aryn & Darren Klingner 11-4, 11-7, 11-9
- Division 2 Doubles: Ashley McKay & Donald Downing def Tyson & Colin Black 12-10, 11-3, 11-6
- Potluck Doubles: Les Haynes & David Klingner def Ashley McKay & Ian Gibb 11-9, 15-13, 11-7
- Handicap Doubles: Grace Crawford & Rhiannon Wiltshire def George Jacka & Charlie Klingner 31-30
- Student Division 2 Singles: Liam Henwood def Joseph Jacka 11-9, 11-7, 11-6
- Under 20 Singles: Andrew Schulz def Joseph Jacka 5-11, 11-5, 15-13, 11-8
On August 11, a team of 16 players ventured to Clare to play for the Vacuum Oil Shield.
Playing in groups of four each player played two doubles matches, the best of five sets and two singles, the best of seven sets.
The top two brackets of four matches were closely contested with Jamestown winning both sections 7 rubbers to 5.
The bottom two brackets were won by Jamestown 10-2 and 11-1 respectively which meant Jamestown retained the shield with an overall score of 35-13.
All members are reminded the association’s annual general meeting will be held on the Thursday, September 14, after the grand final, at 8 pm in the clubrooms.
The committee would like to see as many members attend as possible.
On Wednesday, August 30, there is the delegates meeting at which teams need to be listed and approved for finals play.
Delegates from all teams are required to attend to sort the program.
Finals begin this week with the semi-finals being played on Thursday, August 31, followed by preliminary finals on Tuesday, September 5, and the grand final is on Friday, September 8.
Go along to any of the finals and support your team or just watch some great table tennis.