Clare oval hosts international

Part of a triptych of English Eleven on Clare Oval in 1936.
Part of a triptych of English Eleven on Clare Oval in 1936.

In 1932 Mr G V Tilbrook, captain and secretary of the Clare Cricket Club, contacted the SA Cricket Association to find out the costs of preparing and laying a turf wicket on the Clare Oval.

The association offered advice and assistance and the ideas was pursued with great enthusiasm.  

After much fundraising the turf wicket was laid and opened for play on January 30, 1933, with the Mayor, Mr L A Davies taking the first strike and Mr J W Ohlmeyer bowling the first bowl.

“Clare was chosen, with the Port Pirie Mayor unhappy about the decision.”

In February 1936, the Northern Argus announced that the English Eleven cricket team would visit Australia and Clare would be would be chosen for the place to play a match.

The Port Pirie Mayor was not happy about this and thought his town should be chosen. The superior condition of the Clare Oval was given as the reason for Clare being chosen over Port Pirie.

The English team would travel overland from Western Australia to South Australia, travelling by rail as far as Port Augusta. They would then motor through the northern towns to reach Clare.

The Adelaide Cricket Association chose Clare as a stopping place to play a match on October 28, on their way to Adelaide.

The team would arrive in Clare on  October 27, to be present at the Clare Centenary Races where the main race was the Cricketer’s Cup.

The captain of the English team was asked to present the cup to the race winner.

To be continued...