SA Police is warning people about a scam in the form of a letter claiming to be from Police Commissioner Grant Stevens.
The letter promises a large sum of money in exchange for an ‘approval fee’ which is not what SA Police demand.
Additionally, the poor quality, misspelt letter should alert recipients to the fact it is a scam.
Anyone who receives a letter like this is urged not to respond and to contact police immediately on 131 444.
To reduce your chances of becoming a victim of a scam, please consider the following tips:
- Always know who you are communicating with and where your information is going. If you are uncertain, confirm the contact by other means.
- Be alert to poor quality letters or emails, with spelling mistakes and other errors.
- Never give your personal details, passwords, credit card or online account details to a person you cannot identify in an official capacity.
- Avoid any arrangement that asks for up-front payment.
- Ignore emails and text messages which advise you have won a competition that you did not enter.
- Do not send money to receive lottery winnings or to claim a prize.